Theodore B. Shybut, M.D.Asst. Prof. Orthopedic Surgery
Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Subspecialty Board-Certified in Orthopedic Sports Medicine
Theodore B. Shybut, MD is Assistant Professor at Baylor College of Medicine. He is board-certified orthopedic surgery by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery. He holds an additional Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopedic Sports Medicine from the ABOS signifying his expertise in sports medicine surgery. He specializes in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the knee, shoulder, and elbow, including complex reconstructions and revision surgeries when prior procedures have not achieved the desired outcome.
Dr. Shybut has received numerous accolades for his clinical care and surgical skill. He was named a Texas Super Doctor Rising Star for 2015 and 2016. He was a Houstonia Magazine Houston Top Doctor in 2014 and 2015. He has been recognized with multiple Vitals.com Patients’ Choice and Top Ten Doctor awards. He treats athletes of all levels, from professionals to weekend warriors to those with injuries requiring orthopedic care.
Dr. Shybut’s clinical specialties include arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of knee, shoulder, elbow:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) reconstruction:
- Bone Patellar Tendon Bone autograft
- Hamstring autograft
- Quadriceps tendon autograft
- Revision ACL reconstruction
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) reconstruction
- Open and arthroscopic shoulder stabilization:
- Bankart repair
- Labral repair
- SLAP repair
- Rotator cuff repair
- Revision rotator cuff repair including dermal allograft patch
- Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction (Tommy John surgery)
- Shoulder and elbow injuries in throwing / overhead athletes
- Cartilage restoration
- Autologous chondrocyte implantation (ACI)
- Osteochondral autografts and allografts (OATs)
- Stem cell therapy
- Osteotomies about the knee (TTO, HTO, DFO)
- Meniscus repair
- Meniscal allograft transplantation (MAT)
- Biceps injuries / distal biceps tears
- Tendon repairs (biceps, triceps, pectoralis major, patella, quadriceps, hamstring)
- Stem cell therapy (Bone marrow concentrate)
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Dr. Shybut graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard University. He graduated from Columbia University – College of Physicians & Surgeons (ranked #8 in US News Best Medical Schools 2015), where he was elected into Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. He completed orthopedic surgery residency at New York University – Hospital for Joint Diseases (ranked #4 for orthopedics in the country by US News in 2014), then fellowship in orthopedic sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine, where he was recruited to join the faculty.
Dr. Shybut is the Head Team Physician for Texas Southern University. He traveled with the men’s basketball team for their 2015 NCAA Tournament appearance. He also provides care for multiple high schools in the Houston area and treats athletes of all levels from little leaguers to professionals to elite masters level competitors. He is the Medical Director for the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. He has assisted with sports medicine care for the Houston Texans, Rockets, Dynamo, Astros, University of Houston, New York University, Alvin Ailey Dance Company, PGA tour, and USA Rugby. He attended the 2010 NFL combine as part of the medical team and 2010 MLB spring training with the Houston Astros.
He is a member of American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy Association of North America, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He serves on the AAOS Committee on Evidence Based Quality and Value and the AOSSM Public Relations Committee. Dr. Shybut also received a graduate certificate in healthcare management from the Jones School of Business at Rice University in 2014.
His research has been presented at national meetings and he has published in the prestigious American Journal of Sports Medicine. He is actively involved in the research and education missions of Baylor College of Medicine. In addition he is a reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy: the Journal of Arthroscopy and Related Surgery.
Dr. Shybut’s research interests include:
- Biological enhancement of ligament, tendon, and cartilage repairs/reconstructions to improve outcomes and minimize later degenerative effects from sports injuries
- Biomechanics/kinematics of anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and surgical repairs
- Use of simulators for virtual surgical training
- Surgical outcomes (ACL reconstruction, meniscus repair, rotator cuff repair, stem cell therapy)
- Injury prevention programs for athletes
- Regenerative medicine/Stem cells
Dr. Shybut also has extensive personal experience with sports. As an undergraduate at Harvard, Dr. Shybut competed in intercollegiate lightweight crew. Subsequently he ran multiple Boston and New York Marathons, with a 2:45 PR. He has run numerous shorter road races, and won first place overall in the 2007 Flying Pig 5K in Cincinnati, OH.
He brings this experience and expertise to your treatment, whether surgical or nonoperative. His goal is always to get you back in the game–back to the highest level of competition or function, by providing compassionate and individualized care. Dr. Shybut is on staff at Baylor CHI St. Luke’s Medical Center, Texas Children’s Hospital, and Houston Methodist Hospital.
His goal is to bring this experience and expertise to every patient in a compassionate and individualized manner that involves people in their treatment plan.
Dr. Shybut is on staff at Baylor CHI St. Luke’s Medical Center, Texas Children’s Hospital, and Houston Methodist Hospital.
- Current Appointment
- Postgraduate Training
- Journal Review and Editorial Board
- Meetings and Courses
- Honors and Awards
- Board Certification
- Hospital Affiliations
- Professional Associations
- Sports Medicine Sideline, Team, and Event Coverage
- Administrative and Leadership Experience
- Other Interests
Texas Medical Center
Baylor College of Medicine Medical Center
7200 Cambridge Street
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 986-6016
Baylor Medicine Family Medicine
3743 Westheimer Rd
Houston TX 77027
Phone: (713) 986-6016